Sunday, March 2, 2008

Men's Tennis: Short Q&A with Philip Kafka

After talking about why junior transfer Philip Kafka joined the team, the Daily asked him a few questions regarding the two sports that have influenced his life the most: baseball and tennis.


What do you like about baseball?

“Baseball is the quintessential team sport. That’s the way I look at it. Everything about it is just so classic, it’s so great. There’s nothing better than a sunny day on a baseball field. It’s so relaxing and at the same time, there are moments of intensity and competitiveness.”

Who’s your favorite tennis player?

“My favorite player is … Janko Tipsarevic. The reason why I like him is because, he’s always an underdog. He competes with every player, no matter whether their level is better than his or not, he goes out there thinking he’s going to win. And that’s kind of been my experience on the tennis team. I’m a little bit rusty, I hadn’t played in a while before I joined the team. When I step on the court … I step on the court with the mindset that I’m going to win. I kinda emulate Janko in this sense. I never want to throw the white flag.”

Who’s your favorite baseball player?

“I think that my favorite player is Pedro Martinez. I was a pitcher and he is a pitcher. And I’m not the biggest guy, and he’s not the biggest guy. But just like Janko, he’s such a competitive guy. He doesn’t care what you think about him, he doesn’t care what the fans care about him. All the wants to do is win. I really respect that about him.”

No comments: