Friday, January 18, 2008

Football: New coordinators introduced at press conference

New offensive coordinator Mick McCall and new defensive coordinator Mike Hankwitz were officially introduced at a press conference Friday morning, sitting alongside coach Pat Fitzgerald. Here are some of the highlights:

"Things go in cycles in college football. I’ve been around long enough that I remember when the wishbone came in, and that was unique, and people had to defend that."
-Hankwitz, leading into a discussion of the currently popular spread offense.

"We’re not trying to fit the old round peg in the square hole."
-Hankwtiz, saying his decision on whether to run more 3-4 or 4-3 defense will depend on the strengths of its personnel.

"I felt the same way walking out of my meetings and interviews with both Mike and Mick. When I walked out, I said, ‘Those are two guys who fit what I’m trying to do from a values structure and leadership style for our players, for our program, for the young men we’re trying to recruit and attract to our program for the future.’"
- Fitzgerald

"We’re going to spread the field, just like Mike talked about, and we’re going to be able to throw it and run it equally as well."
- McCall, in what has to be good news for running back Tyrell Sutton

"Obviously, we’ve got a lot of skill guys coming back. We’ve got a fifth-year quarterback coming back. That’s important to have that experience there, so there’s a lot of things in place for us to be successful, and we’re going to try to get all the pieces fit in the puzzle for us to make it work, and we’ll have a good ol’ time here in the spring, I’ll guarantee you that."
- McCall

"I like it, and I don't like the color red..."
- Hankwitz, describing his feelings regarding purple and white. He last coached at red-clad Wisconsin.



No comments: