Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Men's Tennis: Australian Open Picks

The Australian Open runs from January 14-27. After talking to the freshmen about their college tennis careers, let’s see who they think will come out on top in Melbourne.

Andrew McCarthy’s picks

Winner: Rafael Nadal

“If injuries don’t get in the way, I always like to see Nadal do well because I can relate with him. … I know he works his tail off to meet his goals and I really look up to someone like that. I really like his style. He’s overall a really good player.”

Dark horse: Sam Querrey

“He’s like a Todd Martin. He’s a tall player. He’s got a heavy forehand. He works hard and has a great mind.”


Peter Rispoli’s picks:

Winner: Roger Federer

“I like his attitude. (He’s) very professional.”

Dark horse: Pablo Cuevas

“He’s a young (up-and-comer) and he’s got one of the greatest backhands I’ve ever seen.”


David Seyferth’s picks:

Winner: Fernando Gonzalez

“He has the flashiest game on tour and he’s the most fun to watch. I think one of these times he’s going to break through.”

Dark horse: Sam Querrey

“He’s young, he’s energetic and he’s fun to watch. I’ve been in the same tournaments as him so it’s fun to see him play at that level.”

No comments: