Friday, February 22, 2008

Men's Tennis: More Info with Alexander Thams

Here's a closer look at graduate student Alexander Thams. The 22-year-old answers some questions comparing Sweden and America:

Regarding food...
"Back home at Sweden I always go to the grocery store every day. Here I have to go once a week and buy everything for the whole week. That's the big difference. I eat better at home. I eat much better. I (also) eat healthier at home. I think there are more healthy choices in Sweden than there are here."

Regarding tennis players...
"Stefan Edberg. He was very athletic. Probably (had) the best volleys in tennis history. And he was a great gentleman. He was named Gentleman of the year, like a hundred times, I don't know. (laughs) A lot of times.

"I'd have to say either (John) McEnroe and Pete Sampras. They were like the opposite. McEnroe was this fired up guy. I really like being fired up and he was quite a character. It was good for tennis. ... Sampras was just one of the greatest players in tennis history. I don't know what to say about him."

Regarding activities...
"I watched a lot of movies in Sweden. ... I can't really do that here. I mean, I can do it, but it's harder. I played a lot of backgammon as well. It's kinda like tennis. It's competitive, it's tactics. (In America), we just hang out. I can't say we do anything special. I mean I did a lot of that back home as well, that's just normal behavior."

No comments: